Food facts and fallacies

FOOD FALLACIES

A fallacy is a mistaken belief, especially one based on unsound arguments. It could also be referred to as faulty reasoning. With that said, let’s talk about food fallacies. They are wrong ideas about foods especially about the role of certain nutrients in the body and there are fast widespread of food fallacies which have contributed to the high rate of malnutrition. Here are some of the common food fallacies:
• FALLACY: All fats are harmful and cause obesity
• FACT: Not all fats are harmful, the harmful fats are saturated fats which are commonly found in milk, full-cream cheese, meat, ice-cream, butter, hydrogenated margarine as well as trans-fat from fast foods. The good fats refer to the unsaturated fats, which can be found in fish, nuts, and vegetable fats. Note that both saturated and unsaturated fats contain the same level of calories, therefore, excess consumption can cause overweight.

• FALLACY: Consumption of meat by children promotes the development of worm
FACT: Children need meat because it is a good source of first class protein which is needed for growth.

• FALLACY: Carbohydrate causes overweight
FACT: Overweight is caused by the extra calories contained in different sources of food, including proteins, fats, carbohydrates are an essential component of a healthy diet.

• FALLACY: Drinking water while eating results in developing a belly
FACT: Since water does not contain calories, it does not cause overweight. Water helps breakdown the bulk in food thereby facilitating digestion.

• FALLACY: The body weight is an indicator of the health status
FACT: Two persons with the same body weight can have complete different body compositions due to the amount of fats, muscle mass and fluids they each possess.

• There are several other common fallacies which include:
• Raw meat is more healthful than cooked meat
• Tomatoes causes cancer
• White meat is less harmful than dark or red meat
• Raw eggs are more nutritious, digestible or readily assimilated than cooked eggs
• Lettuce and cucumbers “cool the blood”

In the spirit of the on-going pandemic, people especially on social media, have come up with different tips on the cure for the Covid 19, some have said that some fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices are the cure for the virus, for example Ginger, lemon, garlic, onion, baking soda,
Ginger is one of the healthiest spices on the planet. It is loaded with nutrients and bio active compounds that have powerful benefits for your body and brain
Lemons are high in Vitamin C, fibre and various beneficial plant compounds. They support heart health, weight control and digestive health.
Ginger and Lemon both have great benefits to the body but there no scientist evidence that they are the cure for the Virus. It is important to make proper research about food products when in doubt about its uses. Remember to eat healthy and keep staying safe.

5 Likes

Hello everyone, this is my first article and I’d really like it to know your thoughts on it. Share some fallacies you’ve heard about or some funny experiences you’ve had on being forced to take some herbs as a cure for the Covid 19 pandemic. For me, my mum makes us take lime , ginger and garlic drink every morning because she saw a WhatsApp broadcast message saying it’s the cure for the virus. Let me know what you think, let’s have a chit chat.

1 Like